Our church has a rich history. It was born in a revival held in 1920 by A.D. and Violet McClure, a young couple from Kentucky. Not only were souls saved and lives changed, the Pentecostal message of the baptism in the Holy Spirit was preached. In 1921 the young congregation called the McClures to be their pastors. The original meeting place was a storefront on Church Street in downtown South Ottumwa.

In 1925 the property at 733 Church Street was obtained. Brother McClure took a shovel and began digging footings for a new building. Mr. Wormhoudt, the owner of the lumberyard, stopped and asked what he was doing. Learning of his vision and determination, Mr. Wormhoudt offered to sell the materials to congregation on credit. The first building stood just east of the present sanctuary.

From almost its inception until 1935, First Pentecostal Church of God was the headquarters for the Pentecostal Church of God, now located in Joplin, Missouri. When the headquarters moved to Kansas City, Brother McClure reincorporated the congregation as First Pentecostal Church of God of Ottumwa, Iowa. For the next dozen years it operated as an independent church, even ordaining some of its sons and daughters in Pentecostal ministry.

During the depression the church served tens of thousands meals through its soup kitchen. The congregation still carries a reputation of being caring and helping of the less fortunate. The jail ministry, started in 2001, has brought many new families and individuals into the church.

In 1946 Brother McClure, realizing his health was failing, called William Friend to be his associate. He also brought the congregation into fellowship with the Assemblies of God. The name was later changed to First Pentecostal Assembly of God. When Brother McClure resigned, Brother Friend took the helm until 1959. He was followed by Stanton Johnson who resigned in 1965 to become Iowa District Superintendent.

Under the leadership of Pastor John Walker, the present church was built in 1969 with much of the labor and supervision of construction coming from members of the church. Selix Hall, which provides space for kitchen and meal functions, special events, and Sunday school classes was dedicated in 1973.

The latest additions to our campus is the elevator and lobby, the Life Center, and the Education Center.

As a member church of the Assemblies of God, First Pentecostal is part of a worldwide fellowship of more than 130,000 churches and 45,000,000 believers in 160 nations. We strive to live our motto, "Loving God, Loving Each Other."